Accessible Halloween Costumes 2026

 

This year in stores was a total desert of accessible costumes. I couldn't even find wheel covers or the wagon covers that you could modify to go on related equipment. There are trends where costumes follow political agendas and right now like many different groups, those with disabilities are losing both their rights and visibility. This is reflected in the products you can find in stores. In the past places like Target even had cute Halloween decorations that helped bring the disability life to the decorations, even if it was a little bit of a stereotype. 
The above vampire sitting in a wheelchair is an example from a past year of a Target find. I remember being so happy when I saw it, but visuals like this have disappeared. So when trying to find accessible costumes this year I was not surprised that they were missing in stores. What little representation had been gained had been erased.

Most of the costumes I found online were just the same ones from previous years and you can check out my past articles for info on those.

Target
https://www.target.com/c/adaptive-halloween-costumes/-/N-66yhm

Most of their accessible costumes this year were either cape/poncho based or more focused on accessories and not really the base. This is a roll back from previous year's offerings. They did have a few costumes that were for full wheelchair cover or that included wheelchair covers.

Then new this year was this:
https://www.target.com/p/adult-barn-costume-headpiece-160-hyde-and-eek-boutique-8482-one-size/-/A-94877630#lnk=sametab
Because we all know that a costume that only involves the head is great to hide the rest of your body...sorry about the sarcasm, but really? This costume is just a barn that fits over your head. Yes they do have the model wearing farmer like clothes under it, I guess you could just wear all black as well... I guess head wear only could count as a costume....but yah, I just have issues with this being one of their "adaptive" focused costumes. Only the head matters and the rest of the body can be forgotten... The only way I see this one maybe working is if you could find an animal nose and be the animal sticking out of the barn.

Rolling Buddies
https://www.rollingbuddies.com/collections/halloween-costumes

This site specializes in adaptive only clothing and costumes. Their prices are on the higher end, but they have a good diversity of products in one place. Also not the best looking, but at least they are trying.

Halloween Express
https://www.halloweenexpress.com/costumes/adaptive-a1-560518+3435-1.fltr

Some good deals can be found here. Somewhat limited options. Nothing really stood out to me as new or exciting this year.

HalloweenCostumes.com
https://www.halloweencostumes.com/adaptive-costumes.html?q=Adaptive%20Costume
When I checked their site a lot were either sold out or discontinued. Super low options when compared to previous years.

To all those looking for an accessible/adaptive costume, good luck this year. If nothing else this reduction in costumes just means that you can let your creativity show this year by making your own. I would recommend Pinterest if you need costume ideas.

Top Picture From: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/landscape-huacachina-desert-ica-peru-1656955129?trackingId=b3534cac-5a42-4eec-8e8d-5b8ac9546785&listId=searchResults

Comments